Caramelized Pear Dutch Baby
Recipe Courtesy Diabetes in a New Light
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 3 firm ripe Bartlett pears, cored and cut into thin wedges
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg white
- 2 tsp melted butter
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400 degree’s Fahrenheit.
2. Heat a medium size cast-iron oven proof skillet on the stove and add the canola oil.
3. Add the pears, 2 tbsp sugar, and cinnamon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the pears are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated (about 10 minutes).
4. Place the flour in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, egg white, melted butter, nutmeg, salt and remaining sugar.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the milk and whisk together until smooth. Pour the batter over the pear mixture.
6. Bake until puffed and golden brown, 35-40 minutes. Cook the pancake in the skillet on a cooking rack for about 10-20 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar and serve. Enjoy!