Eggplant with Roasted Red Bell Pepper Relish
Recipe Courtesy The American Heart Association
Serves 4; 3 slices eggplant and 2 tablespoons relish per serving
Roasted red bell pepper relish adds a burst of color atop thick slices of lightly browned eggplant.
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided use
- 1 1 1/2-pound eggplant, cut into 12 1/2-inch slices
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell pepper, drained if bottled, chopped
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, thyme, or basil, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Pinch of pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly spray a large baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Using 2 teaspoons oil, brush both sides of the eggplant slices. Sprinkle the tops with the salt. Arrange the slices in a single layer in the baking pan.
- Roast for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the eggplant is lightly browned on the bottom. Turn over. Roast for 8 minutes, or until browned on the bottom. Transfer the eggplant to plates.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the bell pepper, parsley, vinegar, garlic, pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Spoon over the eggplant.
Nutrition Analysis (per serving)
Total Fat3.5 g
Saturated Fat0.5 g
Trans Fat0.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat0.5 g
Monounsaturated Fat2.5 g
Dietary Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association’s Patient Education program. Recipe copyright © 2010 by the American Heart Association. Look for other delicious recipes in American Heart Association cookbooks, available from booksellers everywhere, and at www.heart.org.