Sugar Snap Peas with Sweet-and-Sour Sauce
Recipe Courtesy The American Heart Association
Serves 4: 1/2 cup peas and 2 tablespoons sauce per serving
In just a couple of minutes, you can enjoy a colorful and tasty side dish that is perfect to serve with grilled flank steak or stir-fried chicken tenders.
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed (about 2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup apricot all-fruit spread
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds (optional)
- In a medium microwaveable bowl, combine the peas and water.
- In a small microwaveable bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients except the sesame seeds until the cornstarch is dissolved.
- Microwave the peas and the sauce, both covered, on 100 percent power (high) for 1 1/2 minutes, or until the peas are cooked and the sauce is warmed through and thickened. Drain the peas.
- Spoon the peas into small bowls. Drizzle each serving with 2 tablespoons sauce. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
Nutrition Analysis (per serving)
Total Fat 0.0 g
Saturated Fat 0.0 g
Trans Fat 0.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1 mg
Carbohydrates 17 g
Fiber 2 g
Sugars 11 g
Protein 2 g
Dietary Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association’s Patient Education program. Recipe copyright © 2010 by the American Heart Association. Look for other delicious recipes in American Heart Association cookbooks, available from booksellers everywhere, and at www.heart.org/recipes.